The More You Write, The Better You Write (even when school’s out)
Mr. Ohler’s Summer Journal Topics
-Feel free to write about anything you like, OR,
-Pick any one of the journal ideas from the list below. You don’t have to do them in order. Each journal entry should be 100 words or longer. Add as much detail as possible. Write whatever comes into your mind about the subject or activity. Don’t sweat the spelling. After you have finished, read your entry aloud. Go back and fix any sentences that sound awkward or incorrect. Don’t spend any more than 30 minutes on these, but do this several times a week.
1. What’s the weather like?
2. What is the most annoying thing that has happened so far this summer?
3. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream. Why?
4. Whom are you happiest to reconnect with at home?
5. The perfect summer day is ________________.
6. What do you most miss about school?
7. What has changed about you since last summer?
8. What the best thing about your summer job?
9. What’s the worst thing about your summer job?
10. The food I was most craving when I got home was ________?
11. Write about something that is red.
12. Write about something that is purple.
13. What is your favorite mode of transportation in the summer?
14. My chillin’ music is ____________?
15. My pig out food is _________?
16. What’s the weirdest dream you’ve had?
17. Write about something you couldn’t do without.
18. If I could change one thing at Gow, it would be _________.
19. When I look back on the year with my roommate, I’d say it was __________?
20. Longboard or skateboard? Why?
21. All your video games are being taken away, except one. Which one?
22. What is the weirdest smell associated with summer?
23. What scares me about college/junior year/senior year is ________________?
24. What excites me about college/junior year/senior year is _______________?
25. I’m really good at __________________?
26. Would you sign up for space travel if and when it becomes safe?
27. What the weirdest weather you’ve ever experienced?
28. What is your dream vacation?
29. What was your first impression of Gow School?
30. Who was your best friend?
31. What the dumbest rule you’ve ever had to follow?
32. What was your first job?
33. What were your first thoughts when Mr. Rogers said at graduation, “I hereby declare the 2017-18 school year closed.”
34. What’s the closest body of water to your home? Describe it.
35. Are you keeping in touch with your Gow buddies over the summer? How?
36. Describe an argument you had.
37. Wow, was that a dumb TV show!